Six prefectures in Tohoku – seven showcase events at JAPAN RAIL CAFE TOKYO. The new café, opened last spring at Tokyo Station, is a central hub for travelers to rest, relax, eat, drink and find the latest, and often exclusive, travel information for Japan.
This winter, discover the traditions, crafts, foods and drink of the Tohoku region and its six prefectures – Aomori, Akita, Iwate, Miyagi, Fukushima and Yamagata. From November 28–29 and December 5 & 7, 2020, each prefecture will host its own individual event at JAPAN RAIL CAFE TOKYO, where guests can find, and sample, the best each prefecture has to offer.
Saturday, November 28
• 11:30–13:00 Aomori Prefecture – Enjoy apple pie, apple juice and all-things apple at this Aomori apple festival, including a traditional Tsugaru shamisen performance.
• 14:00–15:30 Akita Prefecture – Sample some of Japan’s best sake during this Akita sake fair, plus a Namahage performance and photo session.
Sunday, November 29
• 11:30–13:00 Iwate Prefecture – Local yogurt, cheeses and other snacks from Iwate take center stage, plus a traditional horse doll (chagu chagu umakko) painting session.
• 14:00–15:30 Miyagi Prefecture – Indulge on beautifully crafted sweet and savory snacks, and local wine and sake, from Miyagi, plus decorate your own kokeshi doll.
Saturday, December 5
• 11:30–13:00 Fukushima Prefecture – Discover Fukushima’s delightful sweets – the cake-like mamadors and local gummy snacks – plus the prefecture’s famous sake.
• 14:00–15:30 Yamagata Prefecture – Find peace at this Yamagata spiritual experience with Buddhist vegetarian food and local fruits such as the La France pear.
Monday, December 7
• 19:00-20:30 The Sakagura of Tohoku – Taste a variety sake (and wine, too) from the region while learning more about the breweries of Tohoku.
To keep our guests safe and healthy, each event is limited to 5 people. Please pre-register for one event you would like to attend.
For the first time – and for a limited time – the JR EAST Welcome Rail Pass 2020 will be available to foreigners living in Japan. This pass allows anyone with a foreign passport unlimited rides on JR EAST trains traveling in the areas of Tokyo, Tohoku, Nagano and Niigata, including the Shinkansen, for the unbelievable price of ¥12,000. The pass is valid for three days. During that time the whole of Tohoku is at your fingertips.
Learn more here.