Police have arrested a man accused of a stabbing spree at a major tourist district in Guam which left at least two people dead and 11 others injured.
Chad Ryan DeSoto, 21, reportedly crashed his car onto a sidewalk before striking seven tourists Tuesday night at a shopping area at the Outrigger Guam Resort, Guam police spokesman A.J. Balajadia said.
Three people – including two Japanese women aged 28 and 82 – were killed. Japan’s Foreign Ministry said 11 other Japanese nationals, including an 8-month-old baby, had been injured, adding that the lives of 10 are not in danger.
DeSoto is facing multiple charges, including two counts of murder, 13 counts of attempted murder and 13 counts of aggravated assault, according to The Associated Press.
Guam Gov. Eddie Calvo said he is committed to ensuring the safety of tourists in Guam, dubbed as one of the safest tourist destinations, and vowed to make the suspect responsible for the crime “to the fullest extent of the law”.
“This was an isolated incident – something that just doesn’t happen in our community,” Calvo said in a statement addressed to “the people of Japan”.
“We are shocked, we are grieving with the families, and we extend our deepest condolences to those hurt,” he said.