West Tokyo Preschool
West Tokyo Preschool (WTPS) is a private and independent Preschool for 3, 4, 5 and 6 year olds. WTPS was established in 1972 by two teachers from the American School in Japan (ASIJ) and until 1977 was located at the Lutheran Seminary near ICU campus. It was then moved to the ASIJ campus. WTPS moved to its current location in 1983. WTPS was originally created to meet the needs of ASIJ teachers and the foreign business community near ASIJ. It has now expanded to include children of English speaking multi-cultural families in the West Tokyo area. It was incorporated with and continues to maintain an American cultural atmosphere and celebrates and observes American holidays and customs. WTPS was formerly known as West Tokyo Nursery. In March 1990 its new name was adopted to reflect a more accurate description of the program.
West Tokyo Preschool offers:
– Full time program 9:00am – 4:00pm.
– All nationalities welcome.
– Half day program also available.
– Early drop off available.
– 3,4,5 days per week option-reasonable tuition.
– Our program prepares children for international schools. 100% English environment.
– WTPS prepares children to effectively express themselves through verbal and non verbal communication for social and academic purposes.
– Creative, well organized, safe and effective classroom environment.
– Qualified kindergarten teacher/ Native English speaker.
– West Tokyo Preschool has been nurturing English in a comprehensive preschool atmosphere for over 40 years.
– The lessons and/or activities provided in the classroom setting comply with and meet the standards of the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), Council of Exceptional Children (CEC), and Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL).
– Parent/ teacher conferences are held twice a year.
– Open House is held every month so parents can observe children’s progress.
– Events include: Halloween and Christmas performances and celebrations, Sweet potato picking, 100 days celebration, Valentines exchange, Easter Egg Hunt/ Earth Day celebration, Excursions to zoo and botanical garden, Carnival and circus, complete with clown visit.