Remaining Fukushima reactors to be scrapped

In Other News - October 1st, 2013
remaining-fukushima-reactors-to-be-scrapped

Two more reactors at the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant will be scrapped, Tokyo Electric Power Co. announced, bringing the total number of reactors to be decommissioned to six.

Reactors Nos. 5 and 6, the only two reactors that survived the meltdown, will be permanently shut down, Tepco president Naomi Hirose said in an interview with The Yomiuri Shimbun.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe previously urged the plant operator to decommission Reactors Nos. 1–4.

But the recent nuclear crisis at the plant, which saw tons of radioactive water leaking from storage tanks into the sea, has prompted Abe to order Tepco to scrap two more reactors.

“I told Tepco to ensure decommissioning of Reactors Nos. 5 and 6 so that they can concentrate more on dealing with the accident,” Abe said after visiting the facility.

On Saturday, Hirose said the two reactors will never again be used for power generation.

“In absolutely no way am I considering using Nos. 5 and 6 as power plants,” Hirose said.

“It’s impossible to decommission them right now because of the need to focus on the Nos. 1–4 reactors. I’m thinking about how Nos. 5 and 6 can be used for the Nos. 1–4 reactors. A promising idea is to use them as training facilities,” he added.

Reactors no. 5 and 6 were not running when the earthquake and tsunami hit Japan in 2011 as they were undergoing regular inspections. They have not been restarted since.

By: Maesie Bertumen

Image of Fukushima reactor No. 1, 1999: kawamoto takuo/Flickr