China vows reward for "most wanted" Xinjiang suspects

China Featured - July 4th, 2013
thumb

Authorities in China’s restive Xinjiang region have issued a “most wanted” list and promised rewards for tipoffs, in the latest crackdown on what Beijing described as “terrorist attacks” following waves of religious unrest.

Officials are after 11 suspects, including two accused of killing security guards and construction workers in June, and three suspected of making explosives for a planned attack on government buildings, reports AFP.

A reward of 50,000 to 100,000 yuan will be given to people who can provide information on the suspects, state media said.

China has boosted security in the regional capital Urumqi ahead of the anniversary of the 2009 bloodshed, where 200 people were killed in the worst violence Xinjiang has seen.

Authorities vowed to root out such “terrorist” attacks after bouts of conflict erupted last week, killing at least 35 people.

“Terrorist activities” were against humanity, the China Daily said in an editorial Wednesday.

“The response has to be resolute and ruthless,” China Daily said.